I think the article has a lot to offer. The one thing it tends to downplay is getting an official label as 'gifted', but that's what is needed to get advanced education at the school. I'd say the majority of the people here are doing what that article advises, for instance can you fault any of this:
In the first three years of life, all children need to feel a sense of security and attachment. Being held, being loved and having one's basic needs met are all critical for future learning.

The growing brain next needs stimulation in order to change and develop. One thing it loves: novelty. Every time your baby is exposed to new toys, words, sounds, textures, tastes, smells, faces and places, she's learning. You don't have to work overtime to make this happen; everything in everyday life is new to a baby.

By late infancy and toddlerhood, some kids do dart way ahead on milestone charts, and some don't. Whether your kid does or doesn't, experts say, all babies, toddlers and preschoolers will thrive as long as they are:

� Provided a predictable life with a reasonably ordered environment.

� Held and touched often.

� Talked to (or sung to) often.

� Read to frequently.

� Exposed to interesting experiences.

� Given many opportunities to learn through play.

Unfortunately I know some people who don't do those things but who will try to drill their child with alphabet flash cards.