Originally Posted by CFK
Originally Posted by LMom
You see to me PG kid who doesn't go to college at 10 doesn't have to be any less gifted than PG kid who does so.

Not that I'm a huge follower of Ruf, but I think that would be the difference between her level 4's and level 5's. A lot of the test scores between those two groups are the same, it's the drive and need to further the learning that puts the Level 5's in a separate group from the 4's.

I am following you, here. There is an intensity and a drive to learn that the 5's have that I think does mean that college is an appropriate place for some of them. But not every subject is best learned in college.

I know level 5 people who didn't go to college early. They were interested in subjects that they were able to self-teach so they read voraciously, or they followed their parents or friends in their labs or field work or they built amazing things in their dad's shop. They went on foreign exchange programs and became fluent in other languages. I think what I have trouble with is the suggestion that college is the only place where level 5 kids can learn at the level they crave. The whole world can a great place to learn and only some things are best learned at college.

Last edited by acs; 08/30/08 05:50 PM.