The school gave my older son parts of the KTEA-Brief in June in preparation for his re-evaluation this year (his special ed resource teacher administered the test). I had to request the scores this year because I was never sent them. In response to my request of the results of the testing, his current special ed teacher just sent me some numbers with the words "average" or "above average,"etc written next to the scores. Of course, this does not tell me much. So I asked for a more comprehensive report. In particular, I want the grade and age level equivalents as well as the percentiles. Current special ed teacher said she would have them to me later today. She just emailed again now saying, "In order to get you the age/grade equivalents, I need to get our test kit that has that information. Once I get that test kit, I can email you all the information that you requested."

First, I am just wondering, why wasn't this already done? How hard is it to plug the numbers into the software and get this? And, perhaps, the school psych should be the one preparing this? Anyway, just seemed off to me so if anyone here has any knowledge about this assessment and these issues, I welcome them.

Secondly, I am especially interested in the gap between his performance on the math and reading where he had what look like to me very high scores and the writing where, although labeled "average" looks quite low to me comparatively ... I am wondering if there is big gap between the age/grade/percentiles between the math/writing grade/age/percentile and the writing. Given that, should I be asking for in terms of a report, because a bunch of numbers with "average" and "above average" listed next to the numbers does not mean much to me.

Here are the scores in case anyone is familiar with and can help me with interpreting them:

Reading 127 Above Average
Math 122 Above Average
Writing 97 Average

Subtests:
Letter & Word Recognition 123 Above average
Reading Comprehension 126 Above average
Math Computation 116 Above average
Math Concepts & Application 125 Above average
Written Expression 97 Average
Spelling 100 Average

The scores were identified as "standard" scores.

Or, is just that this particular assessment just not very helpful and just does not give much info? I am assuming the "KTEA Brief" is different from the "KTEA-III?"

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Irena; 10/28/19 12:31 PM.