What you have described is a lot like my family, especially about how polar opposite DH is from my DS15 and for a couple of years they struggled to get along with each other and for DH to accept who he is. My younger son is HG and also 6th grader. He has inattentive traits (also not diagnosed)and auditory processing issue, but he is very calm and has a positive attitude toward learning in general. We saw him improving significantly is doing great at school this year, learning to organize, following through instructions and even self advocating.

DS15 is also not athletic, but the worst part was his lack of efforts for almost all the sports he has tried since kindergarten. This drove my husband crazy and what DH sees in him is attitude issue and uncoachable. What you said makes a lot of sense "Sports were not interesting for him, hence, no focus". I think school work is also extremely boring to him, so no focus either. It's hard to watch.

I will check out CHADD. Also, we live in southern California, if you happen to live in OC (as in your username), can you recommend the pediatric psych for your DS? Feel free to pm me.

Thanks so much!