Originally Posted by mckinley
Wish I could stop thinking. Does anyone want to talk about something other than test scores?

I'll bite. I was reminded of this thread today while reading this article: https://scottbarrykaufman.com/the-taboo-of-selfishness/, which argues that it is sometimes healthy to act in a selfish manner.

As a life-long, pathological teacher- and boss-pleaser who too often settles for satisfying the needs and low expectations of others, while suppressing my own [gifted weirdo] needs, I identified with this:

"Healthy selfishness requires self-love. The person who is motivated by healthy selfishness is motivated by a desire to become a unique person, to learn, grow, and be happy."

and this:

"People who consistently lack self-assertion and self-respect, and who consistently reject the satisfaction of their own basic needs in favor of satisfying the needs of others, often enter therapy so they can learn how to increase their self-love."

and this:

"...we need to think more seriously about creating the conditions that allow people to develop their unique intellectual, creative, and emotional capacities, the freedom to assert the totality of their being, and the opportunities to satisfy their basic needs."

Perhaps gifted adults who are dying on the vine at work could use a little more self-love (not less), and their desire for more learning and growth in the workplace is an expression of the healthy kind of selfishness (not mere self-indulgence, self-pity or narcissism)?

I realize I'm out on a limb here.

Excused any mixed metaphors.