Val,
DS has already completed High School Algebra and is starting on Geometry this year. He can and does copy pretty accurately when he had a good reason for it. But it is hard for him.

To start each day with writing down what they will be doing uses up his energy and good will. To give you an example of what he wrote in his agenda last year: "Today I will compare and contrast the movie and the story for the The Nightingale. I will read Aida for comprehension. I will view the film of version of The Nightingaleand create a Venn diagram. I will predict, ask, and summarize." He has about 3 minutes to do this. The teacher says that they have to write it down so their parents know what they are doing in class. DS is a chatterbox and he tells me what he does in class. I do not need him to write it in his agenda. He also has a number of unusual classes in different parts of the building and is typically later than most kids getting into class (for example, this year he is taking the bus back from the high school and comes into class late every day but is still expected to copy into his agenda!)

So I am not arguing for not teaching him copying skills. He is copying and getting better at it. But to copy this much information for no reason is a hard way for him to start his day.

Last edited by acs; 08/29/08 07:06 AM.