My first reaction to the question of copying from the board was that it seemed like mindless busywork. The teacher is trying to focus the kids on a sequence of events by making them write the information down. But you make some very good points, Val. In college, which is a long, long way off for a 7th grader, I had to become exceptionally skilled at writing complex physics and math equations from professors who could fill blackboards faster than I could every have imagined humanly possible. It is a skill that must be learned and practiced. Now, whether 7th grade is an appropriate place to start, I don't know?

I will say that had a similar, but different obstacle to overcome in school. I have always had a very difficult time hearing information. I must be a highly visual spatial person, since I could never process audible information. I can't hear phone numbers and understand them without writing the numbers down. I could never hear a foreign language without picturing the words appearing on an imaginary screen. Oral spelling tests were a killer for me in elementary school, since I could not hear words and write them down. I had to visualize them in order to process the information. And I remember breaking down in tears in 4th grade because I could not complete the weekly oral multiplication timed test, where the teacher would say the problems (5x4), (9x8), 6x4) and the student would be required to write the answers at a fairly fast pace.

I still struggle with it, but I found that constant practice is the only thing that trains my brain to accept audio information. In college, I found that I had to learn to write not only all of the physics equations on the board, but also what the professor was saying as he filled up blackboard after blackboard. That is where the true gold mine of information was hidden.

So maybe times are advancing to the point where technology can compensate for these areas where individuals struggle. But life is much easier if you tackle these things head on, IMHO.

Maybe you can help him practice by copying lists of things that truly interest him? Step by step instructions for assembling something, programming something, cooking something? Find his passion and turn it around until you can use it to further a goal?

Mom to DS12 and DD3