I ended up taking DD to the doctor because it was time for her annual, and I thought I could make sure there wasn't a physical reason for the sleep issue (she has always had sleep troubles - ADHD is one reason). I had no idea if this new doctor would have any suggestions as we moved to a new country where medical care can be tricky, but she actually had some ideas, and some of them are those posted above by you all. It was worth it to have DD there as she actually listened to the doctor vs. discounting my advice!! We also found out that DD has low vitamin D and is slightly anemic. Hasn't there been research about the connection between vitamin D and sleep?

So, more aerobic exercise, use melatonin for one week then wean off gradually (to get back into sleep rhythm), try to sleep 30 minutes in darkened room, and if not, do 10 minutes of very boring work in a dim room (fold clothes or something) and then go back to bed, etc. The doctor said the longer she lays there the more the brain has time to think think think. She had a couple other ideas as well. The doctor seemed to understand how hard it was to turn off one's brain which was just nice to hear!We shall see how this all works.