My DS is only 8, so the things that work for a teen might be totally different, but I'll share in case it helps.

We used to do early bedtime, but DS would end up lying quietly in bed for hours waiting for sleep to come. He would frequently still be up at midnight after being put to bed at 8. He would then wake up on his own around 7. He never seemed tired, but we figured it couldn't be good for him. And we did manage to fix it for the most part, so here is what we now do:

Shower at 8:00, family reading time at 8:30, quiet reading time in bed from 9:00-10:00 with a low light, lights out at 10:00. Now instead of falling asleep at midnight, he falls asleep shortly after 10, often by 10:30. He wakes up on his own by 8 each morning. During the nighttime process, if we notice yawning we accelerate the schedule. This usually only happens when DS is sick though. The goal is to have him start trying to sleep when he is at his most tired. Too soon and he activates his brain from boredom and can't turn it off, too late and he has missed the window during which he is physiologically prepared to sleep and has to wait for the next window.

As a person who also suffers from issues with falling asleep I know that I can't go to bed until I am exhausted. If I get into bed early in the hopes of getting extra sleep (like if I have to be up early the next day), I will end up falling asleep even later. And it's because being awake in bed with nothing to do brings on the thinking. Once I'm thinking about things I don't seem to be able to stop. Then I often get good ideas and decide to get up and write them down so I don't forget. Which leads to being up at 1:30 typing emails to my sons aide at school about a better way to handle transitions from the sensory room back to class. Which leads to falling asleep after 3am. So I have learned not to ever get into bed unless I am feeling ready to drop. For me reading keeps me up because I get to into the story and suffer from one more chapter syndrome. If I had a responsible adult there to insist on lights out maybe that wouldn't be a problem, but our family is short on responsible adults. I like to do boring repetitive stuff to help me get tired, like organizing the files on my PC or reading the methods section of a study. Hey, it works smile

Hope this helps/at least gives you something to think about. Good luck.