Ugh, yes! The "what does that word mean" in a professional setting is maddening!

Or its corollary, "that word does not mean what you think it means." My organization is notorious for using vague and unhelpful terminology, then wondering why we're constantly talking past each other. It's almost as if we need an organization-to-English dictionary.

Example: I worked as a member of a small and highly-specialized team that decided to call itself "Technical Services." This one team was part of a larger IT organization filled with many people performing many roles, any one of which could be described as providing some variety of "technical services." So during a reorg, I became a strong advocate of our team adopting a name that was more specific to us and better encapsulated our actual role, and how that differed from other roles. I was well-satisfied by the results - one of which was that we stopped getting disruptive emails from non-technical folks seeking help with problems that had absolutely nothing to do with us.

Months later, another team that provides similar services on a very different platform gave themselves a name almost identical to ours. So now we get occasional calls from the folks in the operations center for problems with the other team's platforms at 2am.

Last edited by Dude; 01/05/18 10:42 AM.