Originally Posted by sunnyday
Read the original source and weigh in on that if you must, but I personally have no intent of making any judgment based only on this absurdly biased piece of "journalism."

Good point. Her book is easy to find on Google books. The bits I read are rambling, unfocused, and lack support. Example:

The way mathematics operates in our world and the politics that mathematics brings are important for MTEs to consider. On many levels, mathematics itself operates as Whiteness. Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as White. School mathematics curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans. Perhaps more importantly, mathematics with unearned privilege in society, just like Whiteness. Mathematics is viewed as so pure that it has become the discipline by which we measure other disciplines. See for example the XKCD comic (n.d.) that depicts mathematicians as so far removed from other disciplines that they hardly recognize other scientists.

She's using a comic book as a source --- to support a stereotype with no basis in reality? And what does a stereotype have to do with any point she was trying to make? Like I said earlier, someone please throw water on the burning stupid.

MTE = Mathematics teacher educator.

Last edited by Val; 10/31/17 02:25 PM.