People always commented that my daughter seemed more "alert" than other babies, but I thought that was silly. She seemed like a usual baby to me. She talked on time, walked a bit late, her motor skills were slow. We had no real "clues" until she started reading. That started as soon as she could talk. First it was logos and urls she would see on TV or on the backs of books. Then my mother and sister swore she read a chiropractor's sign while they were driving in the car with her. She could read the digital guide on the TV and small books. It was something my husband could do as a baby and I honestly thought his family was exaggerating. It scared me, so we really just blew it off until right before preschool. She was three and a half and could read handwritten notes and cursive and just "knew" how to add and subtract in a first grade workbook a grandparent gave her.

On the other hand, she couldn't ride a bike until she was 8 and, until she learned cursive, her handwriting bordered on dysgraphia. It was the disparate development that was our first clue that she may be truly gifted.