Originally Posted by Johnny
I think admins are hesitant on whole grade skipping unless they are 100% sure. So what points would they make to keep him in his current situation. I just want to be prepared with information, so this goes as smoothly as possible.
Some points schools have made to discourage skipping:
- Focusing on lack of soft skills. Ironically, kids need appropriate challenge in order to develop certain soft skills.
- Focusing on a child's social and interpersonal skills matching the child's chronological age, rather than the target grade level.
- Focusing on handwriting.
- Focusing on potential future concerns, such as driving a year later than classmates.

More pros and cons of grade skipping in this old post.

Ultimately, the Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS) is a helpful tool for discussion of a potential full-grade acceleration.

I'll add that a financial motivation, as expressed in the thread's subject line and in your OP is NOT a sound reason to accelerate a child.

Remain focused on your child's needs. Kids need both an appropriate challenge and academic/intellectual peers in order to develop necessary life skills and mental health. Focusing on your child's needs can help keep a family (or a school) from prematurely deciding on one pet solution to the exclusion of all other ideas. Solutions can be discussed, rated, and ranked as to which may be the best fit at a current point in time.