I would suggest to emphasize the only 60 day age difference and that he doesn't nap. He's closer to K developmentally as well as intellectually. But at the $k and K level, schools tend to not be so interested in the intellectual part. They're looking at developmental. How are his fine motor skills? Is he able to cut with scissors? Does he need a nap? Can he put winter clothes on by himself? Can he put on his shoes by himself? Etc. Do your best to prove that he's developmentally ready and won't require special assistance or attention from the teacher due to lagging skills.

I'd suggest framing your case as "K is more developmentally appropriate for my son" rather than "look at my brilliant child who deserves more", as the latter will set teeth on edge and create resistance for many years to come. I'd also be prepared for the "what about middle school and puberty?" argument because that's likely to be used against a grade skip. A great reason to focus on the only 60 day difference - if the skip is no reversed he won't be dramatically younger.

I'd suggest to NOT offer your thoughts that it'd be okay to repeat K. Don't tell them that because he might be in a situation next year where repeating K would be awful for him. On the other hand, you're keeping great perspective that even something that appears drastic to most (grade skip) is reversible.

Last edited by sanne; 05/31/17 06:13 PM.