Thanks so much, everyone. I really appreciate it.

My DD doesn't have an IEP. She attends a private school, and to be honest I hadn't thought things through that far. I was approaching the question more from the perspective of trying to understand her learning needs and making the most of the time we have with DD’s neurologist. Part of my question, though, is how/where one draws the line between a relative weakness and a disability. Perhaps it’s not the correct/sole question to be asking if the goal is to promote best functioning regardless of whether medical or educational disability standards are met.

To your point about concerns, sallymom, foremost on my mind has been her difficulty with math and wondering about dyscalculia. DD's school really emphasizes math fact fluency. We practice A LOT. She's trying so hard and it just doesn't stick. I find it hard to reconcile that the child who can memorize lines from a play on one reading can't reliably and instantly remember what 6 + 4 equals. That, coupled with visual spatial weakness, had me wondering about an LD. I also wondered whether there was a common thread to the highs and lows in her subtest scores. From what you are saying, aeh, it sounds like they break pretty consistently along the verbal vs. nonverbal/visual spatial divide.

Your DS sounds so much like my DD, sanne. I need to double check my recollection, but I think that the VCI was >99.9th percentile while processing speed was at 77th percentile. I will do some reading on ADHD and raise the question with DD’s neurologist. She has been on an extended personal leave. This will be the first time we’ve seen her since receiving the neuropsych results. ADHD was one of the referral questions. DD’s examiner ruled out ADHD but I’d like to hear the neurologist’s thoughts.

Thanks again, all.