Originally Posted by Tigerle
Originally Posted by sanne
Parents are better at identifying academically advanced children than teachers are. Trust yourself and keep learning with an open mind.

Just to clarify, because the "parents are better at identifying gifted children" meme is often misquoted and often misunderstood: this goes back to a specific study (I'm sure someone on this board, probably indigo, can dig it up) in which parents and teachers were given specific questionnaires *designed* to identify gifted children. The parents' questionnaires were better at predicting giftedness than the teachers', but this could just as well mean parents simply knew their children better and in a bigger variety of contexts. It is NOT about gut feeling.

That doesn't sound familiar to me. I did read a piece about parent identification of gifted children that used the nominator (parent or teacher) versus the child's IQ score. The parents were correct in their guess, if my memory is correct - about 75% of the time, with teachers only have about 25% accuracy. Of course, I did not note the source, perhaps this will sound familiar to someone else with better memory than I have?