Originally Posted by Tigerle
Originally Posted by sanne
Parents are better at identifying academically advanced children than teachers are. Trust yourself and keep learning with an open mind.

Just to clarify, because the "parents are better at identifying gifted children" meme is often misquoted and often misunderstood: this goes back to a specific study (I'm sure someone on this board, probably indigo, can dig it up) in which parents and teachers were given specific questionnaires *designed* to identify gifted children.
Sorry, the study which you mentioned does not sound familiar.

What I am familiar with is anecdotal evidence (observation and experience) of parents correctly identifying their own children as gifted more accurately than teachers did. This seemed to be related to "parents simply knew their children better and in a bigger variety of contexts. It is NOT about gut feeling. And teachers are usually excellent at recognizing *academically* advanced children, assessing children's academics is what they do all day".

That said, parents may run the gamut from false negative: denial or "bewilderment "but I thought that was normal, all children in my family have been like that!" to false positive: hot-housing and tiger-parenting average children in hopes of achieving a coveted "gifted" label.

"The problem is that intellectual giftedness doesn't always manifest in advanced academics, of course, for various reasons. And some teachers, of course, are wilfully blind." Agreed.