Originally Posted by Jbell281
According to your list they fall more under gifted. They do not study or put in any work. It comes easy to them but eventually the time will come where they have to study.

The sooner they get to that point, the better off they are! Maybe indigo will chime in with some links and resources here?

Letting children skate through school without learning to study is not doing them any favors. They're losing opportunities to learn essential life skills and build their grit and confidence.

My childhood and young adult story is devastating - mostly because I never learned the essential life skills from overcoming academic challenges. I took a college writing class last fall and realized in a panic I hadn't learned anything about english or writing since 4th or 5th grade. I was an anxious mess for the whole class, nearly withdrew, and did not expect to pass the class. I did - with 100%, actually. But it was an unpleasant experience! It's not fun to be learning basic study skills in my 30's. It's not fun to have my husband with a graduate degree, my cousins getting their masters degrees and PhD's, my siblings getting PhDs, my sister-in-law and cousin have university teaching positions and I'm over here like "Today I swept the floor 3 times, cleaned up poop and vomit, and my baby screamed at me for 45 minutes because I didn't let him eat the entire 2# box of strawberries." I'm a stay-at-home mom *because* I can't do much of anything else *because* I didn't have opportunity to learn how to learn when I was a child. It burns. Every day.

The sooner you can provide your children challenging academics, the better off they will be.