Originally Posted by NotherBen
I need to check that I can still have parent-teacher conferences with all his teachers, including the supported study hall, with or without him. These conferences would be outside the bounds of the IEP, just normal conferences, so I don't know why not.
The transfer of rights from parent to child is related to FERPA, and applies to all students; It is separate from special ed, IEP/504, etc. It is my understanding that you could be involved only if your child signs the consent form... Otherwise it may be considered a violation of your child's privacy. It would be in your best interest to carry a copy of that signed consent form with you, and for your child to also have a copy of the signed form in his possession.
Originally Posted by FERPA FAQs
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that affords parents the right to have access to their children's education records, the right to seek to have the records amended, and the right to have some control over the disclosure of personally identifiable information from the education records. When a student turns 18 years old, or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, the rights under FERPA transfer from the parents to the student ("eligible student"). The FERPA statute is found at 20 U.S.C. § 1232g and the FERPA regulations are found at 34 CFR Part 99.

Originally Posted by NotherBen
I asked DS to find out how to get the extended time on the mid-year exams which are this coming week, but he was out sick half of last week, so he didn't.
Students can often send such requests by e-mail; This also provides documentation and proof that the inquiry was made, and was (or was not) answered on a timely basis. He could e-mail his inquiry NOW. If he wants/needs assistance with wording, possibly you could help him compose a draft of the e-mail.