Originally Posted by NotherBen
DS has an IEP for anxiety. His teachers have been more responsive this semester now that he has the IEP. When I get in touch with most of them, things happen, like extensions.

DS will soon turn 18, and there are corresponding changes to our participation in his IEP. What have your experiences been with this change in control? Is there anything I should do NOW, before the birthday?
A few thoughts off of the top of my head -

1) I would ensure your son knows that you are on his side, and encourage him to come to you with ALL information (including meeting notices, which you may no longer be informed of, by the school).

2) Make sure your son has access to the information at wrightslaw, especially links which may be pertinent to his IEP.

3) Equip your son with coaching and information on self-advocacy.

4) Acquaint him with FERPA, and the transfer of rights from parents to students (who have reached the age of majority OR are minors attending college).

5) There are consent forms which a student may sign, allowing parents to continue to receive educational information about the student's records. Your son may wish to obtain and sign such a form and file it with the school (after making copies so that parents and student have signed copies of the consent forms readily available to allow parent(s) to attend meetings, etc, which your student may wish to have you present at).