His attention with challenging things depends on how interested he is at the time. He tends to 'grab' things and go for it with gusto and then drop it. One weekend he sat and did coloring sheets for at least 10 hours of the weekend, and he especially loved any color by number sheets I could find (that were relatively simple). Or he'll sit and do mazes, but then the next week he won't want to do it. As far as reading, he's still learning so he can only do about 20 pages (with one or 2 beginning reader sentences on each page) before I think his brain tires out. He'll sit and listen to quite a bit more though.

To answer your other question about homework, he gets a sheet of paper with 4 small homework exercises for them Mon-Thurs. The most time consuming one just started last week and asked them write 3 sentences that use the sight words they're learning. Other than that it's been simple math problems, writing a word and coloring a picture, etc. He also has little paper books that he's worked on in class that he's supposed to read to us. Often he hasn't finished those so I ask him to finish them up (write a couple of words, color a few pictures). And for a couple of weeks we had a handwriting booklet to work with him on. It probably takes 20 minutes most nights? The handwriting thing makes stuff tricky because he knows all the information we're asking him to do, but getting him to write it down correctly is more challenging. At first he was resistant to forming his letters in a consistent way (i.e., one day he'd want to start all the letters on the bottom, or turn the paper upside down, or start it 'backwards', etc) but he is getting a bit better. It still seems to be a tedious and frustrating exercise for him but I think he just needs to practice it to get better.