Originally Posted by RRD
HJA: Yes, he does happen to have the same teachers as last year. Actually come to think of it, that makes it even more frustrating to me that they still haven't noticed that he's reading. He was starting to read quite well already toward the end of JK, and they still haven't noticed.

That's just a bit bizarre to me. How could they not notice he's a reader? Surely he's not the only one at age 5 reading. I still remember the day my then three-year-old's teacher called me in and asked if I knew he could read.

He's now five and also not going to learn a ton this year. But he very happily skips off to school and participates fully. I get your worries, and I have them too, but we're looking at things one year at time. If he's happy and making progress in weaker areas (like writing) without slipping or getting lazy, we'll keep the status quo up.

So I don't have a solution, but I do have a happy five-year-old who isn't going to see much new academically but will also have school time to build a weather airplane with radio antenna to let everyone know when bad weather is coming.

I hope your little boy enjoys as much as mine does.