Hi RRD -- I am assuming your son is in SK? Does he have the same teachers this year that he had last year in JK? Also, what size class does he have?

In my experience, this is still pretty early in the lifetime of a Kindergarten class. I am willing to bet that the teachers are really just trying make sure students know routines and rules more than anything else at this point. They probably don't know your son can read because it really isn't part of the curriculum, particularly so early in the school year.

Our son's Kindergarten teachers started a reading program for SKs (and some advanced JKs) around December last year and it was an effective way for them to keep tabs on how the class was doing. Maybe you could ask your son's teachers if they have anything like that planned for later on in the school year?

One morning on the way to school last year my DS and I were discussing ancient Rome and, in particular, we were discussing the fact that some children were not given an education. I told him he should feel lucky that he can go to school and learn something new every day. Without missing a beat, he responded that he did feel so lucky and explained that he "learns something new every day and then goes and tells [his] teachers about it". He has so many interests outside of school that we try to foster (like Ancient Rome...). But I feel that he learned a lot at school as well -- like how to get along with others and how to look after his belongings at lunch time etc. He was also very lucky that his teachers did, in fact, give him an opportunity to speak to them about his outside interests.

I hope your son's teachers will become equally interested in listening to his stories and encouraging him to read at whatever level he wants, as the year progresses.