Well... Given what I've read on here before, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. We went to a "meet the teacher" at the school recently, and we were very disappointed to find out that DS5's kindergarten teacher still had NO CLUE that DS is getting to be quite a proficient little reader. And her first reaction when she witnessed him reading for all of us? She suggested he could be a helper.

I understand that it's challenging for teachers to meet all of their students' needs. And I understand that he'll be ready for grade 1 no problem. And luckily for DS5, he's not a kid who will be bothered by any of this - the play-based learning will just be play to him and he'll merrily go on with his day. And I guess, it's just fine that he won't be accelerated because he won't be bored (at least not yet).

So why can't I help but want a bit more for him? Thing is, we haven't had him tested yet, and he may not be gifted. But even if he isn't gifted, he is still definitely not going to learn much in kindergarten (he's got the math thing down as well, his social skills are great, etc.). Should that be ok? I really don't know.