Originally Posted by Chicagomom
I know for a fact what caused my son's delays. I have PCOS and very very likely had high fetal testosterone levels, that have been shown to produce some autistic traits, lateralization changes (hyperlexia?) and speech delays. Yet, the exposure to FT was limited (only nine months) and given child's brain plasticity, was reversible through intense postnatal therapies, life experiences etc. Was it not a real ASD then if it can be reversed? If a child can recover from a brain trauma, why can't we accept that a child like mine can recover from ASD?

This is very interesting, since I also had high testosterone while pregnant and DS was also one of those hyperlexia 3 kids. His sister is genetically unrelated, but I still carried the pregnancy. The two of them are remarkably similar...for instance PRI scores in the 140's on the WISC IV. Both of them early readers. What are the odds that would occur in two genetically unrelated individuals? DD has ADHD but never had any autistic like traits. But she's also female and that probably plays a role as well.