Chicagomom I don't have answers but I have the same questions about my son who is nearly 6. He got an autism dx very young (18 months) and more recently the paed added adhd and he started ritalin. He had an iq test at 5.0 before starting school (SBV) and had a quite a spikey profile (131 for verbal, 122 for performance, but quite a spread with the highest score of 144 for fluid reasoning, lowest at 111 for knowledge - 128 overall, but of course he is very young.). On the Celf language assessment around the same time he had no scores below 50th centile and half his scores were above the 90th centile... but on the 'bus test' (narrative retell) he did score a bit delayed. Hyperlexia wasn't so much on my radar before school started. He wasn't a self-taught reader, he learned to read at 4 through Reading Eggs (completed the program). He started kindy this year in a mainstream school with an aid. His teacher was impressed with initial reading assessment and thought comprehension was quite strong (he has had weekly speech therapy for years, and he had a few years of aba therapy too). They started him on high level readers (equivalent of about 7.5 then jumped up levels to equivalent of about 9 very very quickly. His decoding skills seem unlimited but his comprehension has not kept up I don't think and I do think I need to address this early next term and say we go back down at least 10 levels). t's very variable based on the reader but I do think i can see hyperlexia now at times (quite fluent word reading when fluent comprehension is missing) and if i look at his early development i can definitely see elements of it (the asd obviously, the very strong memory for things like flash cards, shapes, colours, letters, numbers etc all of which he could remember almost on one showing). His biggest weaknesses these days in terms of asd are social (he is very verbal and responsive but definitely struggles with the complex social elements of communication stiill, especially with peers). Like you I wonder about what his type of profile will look like as he gets older... we are currently using this resource on advice from a speechy and I do think it's been helpful https://www.redshelf.com/book/14625...johnson-carolyn-logiudice-and-jane-orman