Thanks again for the information!

Originally Posted by aeh
NT kids generally speaking (no LDs or other educationally-relevant disabilities) do about the same on the pictorial and text-based CogAT, by definition (they are the basis of the norms and percentiles).

I know as a group, the scores will be the same, due to normalization, but at individual level, I don't believe this is true. I bet kids that are great at listening would do better on grade 2 Cogat and kids that are great at reading would do better on later grades. Grade-to-grade repeatibility can't be good. Could you please share any data you have on it? It probably explains why in our school district there are two waves of gifted kids - one in the 2nd grade when everyone is tested and one in the 4th, on the re-test. The second wave is more likely to test well again in the 6th grade for the middle school program.

Originally Posted by aeh
Is it still hyperlexia? Depends on which definition of hyperlexia we are using. Listening comprehension is also not the same as reading comprehension, even though both involve language comprehension. I've seen plenty of students who can do one but not the other (both directions).

Do you think hyperlexia 3 even exists? I mean 10% of the ASD cases recover (30% of the HFA cases in some studies), so it stands to reason that some of these cases had hyperlexia (may be even most), but somehow the impression is that it wasn't ASD at all but this hyperlexia 3 instead. Do you believe hyperlexia has anything to do with giftedness or like most professionals in your field you think it is a part of the spectrum?

Last edited by Chicagomom; 07/12/16 12:46 PM.