Thanks so much Spaghetti!

Originally Posted by spaghetti
Originally Posted by Irena
DS, with direct instruction and support, will become proficient in supported use of assistive technology (e.g speech-to-text, keyboarding, appropriate software and iPad applications such as snaptype), with the long-term goal of independent use of AT for writing and worksheets.
(short term goal that measures speech-to-text speed and accuracy?)
(goals to measure proficiency progress with software and apps, i.e., speed of setting up worksheets. There should be a way for us (the IEP team) to look at the goal and tell immediately whether he is objectively meeting or not meeting the goal, and whether he is making adequate progress toward unmet goals.)

That's an odd way to write an IEP objective. The direct instruction and support should be on the supplemental services page. The objective should only have what your DS will accomplish. But I see they aren't doing it that way. For what your DS will accomplish, what do you expect by the end of this year? From the objective as written, I see they will play around toward a long term goal, but what are the steps? What will he accomplish in the next year? Such as DS will use at least one alternative to handwriting to complete at least one out of 5 written assignments. (I think I'd make it more like 5/5 written assignments because he should be able to produce all his work with some sort of AT from the get go. They need to find a way right away for him to express himself). (Because the objective is the work and not the AT method, they are obligated to find one that allows the objective to be met). (If you are aiming toward specific AT, like moving from voice to typing, then that would be the objective).

Well, maybe they are just being vague and not putting it in the correct spot on purpose. I just realized it is in a section entitled "parental concerns" which is a subsection of "present levels of academic achievement and functional performance." So, perhaps that is their way of appeasing me but not making it a "goal" per se. I do not see a section labeled supplemental services but there is a section entitled "MEASURABLE ANNUAL GOALS" where each of his gifted classes goals are laid out and his Occupational Therapy Goals are laid out neatly and clearly. I suppose that is where these AT goals need to go?

Last edited by Irena; 06/09/16 04:04 PM.