I would have a lot of concerns about having a child tested simply because he doesn't like interacting with kids his own age. How does he respond with older children? My son is only 16 months, but hasn't been around age mates since he was 8 months old. Anytime the class (he is in daycare) it within 3 - 6 months of his biological age - things go down hill quickly. When he is placed in a setting with children 6 - 12 months older than he is - he thrives. My son was almost labeled as "agressive" until he was moved to the higher age classes, now he is simply an active toddler who participates fully in Spanish class, music class, art and story time. These are activities average 12 - 18 month olds don't necessarily thrive in. However, if we had left him with age mates I'm sure we would have been referred to a psychologist due to his "emotional issues".

I would suggest Cooper experience different environments first and see if his behavior is consistent. Only then would I even consider independent testing.

I definitely agree with independent testing as well. I have a niece whose teacher tried to identify her as ADD/ADHD and she was referred to the school psychiatrist. My sister had her privately evaluated an the Dr. said she was simply bored in class - she was very bright and the work was simply below her cognitive ability. The teacher was actually upset my niece wasn't put on medication - she had 100% success with gettign kids identified as ADD/ADHD when testing was done through the school.