Hi, I'm not sure if this is related to GT or something else completely, but am worried, so wondered if anyone might have thoughts.

My older boy (six next week) has suddenly started having awful tantrums at home during which he shouts names at us, kicks us, throws things. He called his father's mobile and left an awful message telling him to punch himself in the face etc. It's just horrible, and we all find it damaging - he's never been like this before - stubborn and argumentative yes, but a sweet boy. He gets really out of control, eyes glazed over, triggered by sometimes pretty minor exertions of parental authority. I should add that he's still lovely with his brother (4) - they're really nice together.

This has started since the second semester of school began a few weeks ago (southern hemisphere). He was fabulous at home over the two-week holidays, then this change. My boy who loved going to school got three late slips in the space of a week, and two days spending lunch-time in the office for bad behaviour (teasing other children and 'going for a walk' outside the school grounds).

He hasn't said he doesn't like school, and I don't think anything has changed there. He likes his teacher, he likes his friends, it's all play-based (not Gr 1 yet - grrr) so it's not as though he's sitting bored at a desk. I've wondered if it could have something to do with lack of kindred spirits at school? He has children he considers friends, but from where I stand there's not a great degree of commonality - he's the oldest in class and well and away the smartest. I think he was fairly lucky in kindy to spend three years in a good group that did include a couple of like-minded boys from tertiary educated families. Or perhaps the novelty has worn off school even though he still likes the playing? He did think he'd be in Gr 1 after the break - poor love got his holidays mixed up. But then I wondered if that would necessarily make any difference - just because children are older doesn't mean they would automatically connect. And maybe it has nothing to do with that anyway.

I've read so many sad stories about bright children being bored and unhappy in school, but they all seem to be aware of it, so am not sure if it's the case here.

Sorry, this is extremely rambling and fragmented - I'm not at my best tired and upset. Thanks for bearing with me.