OH Polerbear, that's all heavy..hitting a little hard..I remember you from years ago when I was on here. How is the ballet going? My big kid is very serious now and thinking about going to conservatory of some sort. I am not letting her because the poor academics.

You are correct. The school was very generous in testing her, because they thought she showed signs of a LD.

She types slow.

She can't spell.

She reads crazy well, fast and deep.

Her special ed teacher told me she is brilliant and she gets so caught up in the thinking/research part of the assignment and gaining knowledge far beyond the assignment but doesn't get to putting it on paper.

She assures me that she is capable.

I can't help but want to believe her.

There has always been something very odd about her coordination.

She can tie her shoes..she knows the steps, but at 10, still cant do it quick enough. She had the OT look at her. They noted odd approach to writing letters, bottom to top, but functional. Her penmanship score came in as a much older child.

The gave her some standardized OT test and she passed. Twice.

She could ride a bike no training wheels at 4.

She has amazing accuracy when pitching.

She folds beautiful paper products.

She had beautiful cursive when copying.

But functionally, she cannot write. Her teacher prints out the homework for the week for her because she cannot copy it quickly enough off the board. When she does write it, you can't read it.

The odd part is that she carries too many things. When she doesn't need to. Like she forgets to put one thing down before picking up another. Even if holding the object interferes with what she is trying to do. She always forgets to put it down. I have to tell her and then she puts it down. She is known in our family for being amazing for pouring milk to the very top of the glass without it overflowing. But then she leaves her glass in front of her plate and has to reach around the glass to access her food..even when the glass is empty!

I will talk to my husband. I will contact a neuropsych.. I hate to put her through it. She is just getting over her LD diagnosis. It threw her for a loop. Messed with her big time. She was invited to the gifted program and she is not thriving. She said that there is not enough structure in the class. She doesn't understand what she is supposed to be working on.

I sooo appreciate you thoughtful response. Your boy sounds similar to my girl. It makes me very sad for them. These smart little brilliant minds - and people look at them sideways for being slow, or whatever.

One area she seems to never need help is Science..

I'll look into getting more answers. You say that slow processing is a symptom? Not an answer.