Sorry to hear that your son is going through this. Been there and I understand how tough this can be. I know there aren't any quick and easy fixes. You can't just demand that other kids be his friends.

My son spent part of 6th - 8th grade basically friendless. It was heartbreaking & I really didn't know how to help. At that age mom can't arrange a kids play dates. And honestly my son wasn't as mature as the other kids so I don't totally blame them. I In my son case by 7th would tell me that he didn't WANT any friends. He was actively pushing other kids away even when teachers would intervene. I think this was part a defense mechanism after he burnt a lot of bridges in 6th grade and part simply being uninterested in what a lot of preteen boys talk about in school.

I did put my son in a social skills group at the end of 6th. And it did take till 8th grade for him to start making friends in school again. And at almost (17) he now has friends in H.S. but will never be a hugely social kid. In my son's case the two things that I have felt has helped him socially the most is Marching Band and the summer camp I enrolled him in that first summer after 6th grade. He is also in private therapy and I know that helps.

Last edited by bluemagic; 02/10/16 09:11 AM.