Ditto to *everything* aeh said smile

Originally Posted by Shana09
Physical - Although my husband and I both notice the tonal issues, the school does not seem to think he has any problems. They in fact say that he's middle of the class in gym.

I really have no idea what's behind what your school said, but want to put one possibility out there (which happened with us): our childrens' elementary school did not want to have to evaluate or provide services unless absolutely pushed to do so. When we were advocating for a school eval for our 2e ds who is extremely dysgraphic and was fairly obviously far behind peers and below grade level in ability to use handwriting, the school staff very typically and repeatedly responded to our concerns by stating that ds was "in the middle, not the best and not the worst" compared to his classmates. In our situation, the school used that "middle" statement to dissuade parents from making an eval request. If a child is truly functioning at an average or "middle" level, the school is not required to do an evaluation, you may be told your child is in the middle simply to put you off from making an official request for an eval. If you have a concern and your school is telling you your child is "in the middle", ask for some type of quantitative evidence of that "middle" level of performance.

sleep issues - The bedwetting is not the only issue here. He acts like he's sleep walking whenever we try to wake him up during the night.

It sounds like he might be an extremely heavy sleeper - one of my dd's is a deep sleeper who is very difficult to wake up fully in the middle of the night. She also needed to sleep in pull-ups at night until she was around 7 years old because she didn't wake up when she needed to go at night. She wakes up now (she's a teen) but she still goes wakes up and needs to go in the middle of the night almost every night.

Anxiety - He has always been an anxious and a very self conscious child. He's very sensitive to criticism.

My 2e ds' first obvious (to us) symptom that something was up was anxiety - he became extremely anxious in early elementary school, to the point that it was the anxiety that prompted us to ask our ped what to do, ped referred us to neuropsych, neuropsych discovered DCD and dysgraphia. While anxiety can exist in and of itself, it is also often a secondary symptom to some other challenge, particularly in young children who don't have the maturity to understand what's really going on or who don't yet have the communication skills to communicate what they are struggling with.

Could all these just be asynchronous development in a gifted child? Or is there something else going on?

It sounds like there's something else going on. Getting a thorough evaluation will help you understand what's up - and if nothing is found, that's good info too! As aeh noted, the testing you're curious about re giftedness (cognitive ability testing) is routinely included in this type of evaluation, so you'll get that piece of the puzzle addressed, but more importantly (jmo) also get invaluable information re what's going on with your child.

Best wishes,

polarbear