In early October, I went to talk to the principal at my DS6's (first grade) school, about the possibility of having him under an individualized academic plan since I know he was advanced in reading and math. The school's gifted program won't start until 3rd grade. The principal told me that this is the first year they would have the first graders to take the MAP test (K-2). She said that they would look at the scores and would possibly come up with some kind of enrichment plan for kids who have scored well on the test.

My DS6 got 213 on math and 207 on reading, which put him at the 99 percentile for both. Before the school was out for winter break, I communicated with the principal and asked if they are setting something up and when they will start. She told me they were still working on it and would start some time after the winter break. Sounded like maybe soon after but not sure...

I've always wanted to have him tested and see if he qualified for Mensa and DYS. After scored pretty high on the MAP test, I finally took him to take the WISC-V test in December. I always knew that he's gifted but his score still surprised me. Here are the results:

VCI 133 99%
VSI 155 >99.9%
FRI 137 99%
WMI 146 99.9%
PSI 129 97%

FSIQ 150 >99.9%

He never reached the ceiling on block design, visual puzzles and digit span. So he is very superior in visual spatial.

I was going to wait until the school starts the new enrichment program and see if it is advanced enough for my DS. However, the psychologist who tested my DS recommended to send his full report to the school now (instead of waiting for the new program to start) and set up an appointment to meet with them in a couple of weeks to discuss options. He thinks that my DS needs even more individualized enrichment plan than whatever the school's new program is because most likely it won't be enough.

My question is: should I wait to see what the program is about or should I follow the psychologist's recommendation. The principal and my DS' teacher seem to be very supportive and willing to work with the parents on enrichment and individualized plans for advanced kids. I understand this is something extra for them to do so I don't want to be very pushy about it. On the other hand, my DS is not really learning a lot in school so the sooner he starts with enrichment the better.

My other question is in looking at his scores, does anyone have recommendations on what outside of school enrichment programs and activities he can do, especially if the school cannot do more for him? We do not prefer skipping grades.

Thank you in advance