Platypus--that's basically the kind of mess that we have been dealing with as well. She did one whole grade acceleration and one subject acceleration for math. So it seems to be about the right level and it's important that she actually does the work. I don't see any of the assigned work so far as being a waste of time. They wrote in her eval "modify work". Ummm, how? Unless there is some sort of specific plan, no one is going to modify work. If they do, it will be to just ignore the piles of unfinished work and give her an A anyway. We did go to the meeting and basically for goals they are saying:

--she will be able to paraphrase directions and get started
--stay on task with cues
--complete tasks
--follow the steps of the writing process
--write well developed paragraphs

For organizational skills:
--complete assignment notebook
--get necessary materials ready to go home
--turn in assignments

Then they have a bunch of adaptations listed as well. Things like this:
--break down assignments
--provide extra time to complete tasks, esp. novel tasks
--check in with her after giving directions (have her paraphrase directions)
--end of day check outs to make sure she has her assignment notebook
--visual task lists
--graphic organizers/templates for written expression
--access to computer or tablet for A/T.
--cheat sheet for multiplication facts
--access to quiet work space (the hallway?!)
--opportunities for movement
--sensory tools like gum/headphones.

Of course nothing about a para and I don't feel like they have a grasp of what is actually happening in math class. I'm not sure how many times I need to ask them to look at her math notebook (which stays in school). And for the tests which take her forever to finish, the teacher has been sending her out in the hall by herself.

They did say that the goals will be more measurable but they have to collect data about current functioning. All in all, it's not terrible, and she is going to get writing services which was my main concern, but I want to make sure this is done right because it will be a pain to change things later. I just wish there was a more specific strategy to get her to speed up and stay on task. It's one thing to say they have a goal to get her to stay on task, but how do they do that?