We have a meeting tomorrow for DD in 5th grade and one thing that I've been thinking about is the unfinished classroom work. I think that she does far less than her classmates because she is so distracted and off-task. The problem that we have encountered the last few years is that hardly any class work actually comes home. So we don't know what she's doing, or not doing. When I try to ask teachers, we get non-committal answers like "she's doing great" with no evidence to back it up, then we get the notebooks/folders home at the end of the year and it's obvious that things were not "great."

Is it reasonable to put something in the IEP, like they have to send her work home on a regular basis? If she is graded on anything, there isn't even an online gradebook and they only do report cards twice per year. So for all I know she is failing quizzes, tests, not doing half of the assignments and we don't even know.

There is no accountability on the part of the school.

Personally, I think she probably needs a para for the parts of the day when she is most off-task, but if she doesn't get that we'll be left to wonder what they are actually doing to keep her on-task and if it's working.

How do we address this?