We've been going through a really rough time with DD6 (almost 7) and we're now at a point where I feel like my head is just spinning. Reaching out here in the hopes I can get some advice or direction or affirmation or anything at this point, really.

DD is in 1st grade, public school, GT pullout program twice a week. She has always really struggled with transitions, but the start of this school year was especially tough for her. She started showing OCD sort of behaviors and extreme germaphobia and was just anxious about everything, it seemed. I started taking her to a psych, who is great, and I can see how she will be a great support going forward. This psych did end up referring us to the practice's multidisciplinary ASD team, due to DD's sensory and anxiety issues.

While waiting for the initial ASD screen interview appointment, DD's classroom teacher called to update me on some reading assessments and to just check in and say DD had settled in a bit and she felt the anxiety was much improved. We have seen great improvement at home in the last 2 weeks as well. Teacher ends up saying she has been teaching for 20 years and has never had a student as bright as DD. She said that in order to appropriately teach her, she would have to work with her individually all day. Obviously that will never be possible, but hearing such an admission from a public school teacher was shocking and remarkable. She said she was telling me so that I would understand that she and the gifted ed teacher are in talks with the principal regarding accelerating DD. She mentioned "at least in math" but did not go into much detail.

A few days later, gifted ed teacher called to say she had met with the principal and that the plan was to test DD with the 2nd grade end of year math assessment, and then another test I can't remember the name of, unfortunately. She asked that I share the results of the ASD screen and offered to add a 504 to the GIEP with any accommodations recommended by the psych we are seeing. I am grateful and still surprised that the school is seeming to be so supportive and proactive in meeting DD's needs.

Finally, the head spinner- we had the initial ASD screen interview this afternoon. I could tell right away that DD was going to dislike the guy. (I wasn't that impressed myself.) He is referring her on for the full screening (wisc v and ados, etc.) which was not surprising. He seemed to indicate that she's probably just "that gifted" and quirky, but borderline enough that they want to look further. At some point he was talking about how he had worked as school psychologist at our district, blah blah, then casually mentions that he is strongly opposed to acceleration. DD just generally disliked this guy's manner to the point that she basically just growled when he tried to talk to her. See how we got here? Part of me wished I could have growled a few times. ha!

My concern at this point is that the results of further screening will be skewed by the poor rapport she had with this guy. I don't know if we should just run the other direction, agree that it's worth testing further and try to find a different screener, or just sit tight and just hope this guy is better than he seems.