Depends on the work. My son had at least an hour of math homework in 4th grade. (And that is just the math homework.) BUT I don't think this was a good thing. The reasons his math homework took this long.

1) He was in the gifted/high accelerated self contained class at our school. The entire class skipped 4rd grade math & was working on 5th grade math. (Back when it was a different curriculum that spiraled.. now they do a compressed class.) This class was notorious for it's HUGE homework load. In order to make more space in the class for the extra curriculum (fun challenge math for example) the teacher sent ALL math practice work home as homework rather than a combined seatwork/homework.

2) My DS has low processing speed and working memory. I didn't find this out till my DS was 15 and got my son tested so I it's only a guess looking back on it. He didn't find the math sent home hard but he did spend a LOT more time than the other kids in the class. I do wish I had tested & known this earlier. I am sure this is why my son was spending over 3 hours a night in 4th grade on homework.

I suggest doing a bit of detective work. There are many reasons that they homework could be taking this long.

Last edited by bluemagic; 10/29/15 03:05 PM.