Originally Posted by Irena
Polarbear, sounds like you guys are encountering what we are, i.e, the apps and computer programs designed to lessen math handwriting are so cumbersome and so much work and take so much time they are not worth it! It's really annoying! I was hoping that would not be the case with Efofex too! frown frown frown >(

Irena, Efofex has come a long way since ds first tried it, plus we were using it on a Mac before it was ported to the MAC, so ds was having to run it in Windows (on the Mac), then export his work and cut/paste etc in some very cumbersome ways. He actually used MSWord quite a bit to type problems when he was in Algebra, and graphed by hand. Most of it runs on the MAC now, and when ds looked at it (very briefly) this summer, he was interested in possibly giving it a try again. The challenge with ds now is that he's so busy with everything else in life that comes with high school etc, he doesn't want to have to learn how to do something new on the computer, especially if it means he needs to use a laptop. The iPad is just so much easier to transport to school etc.

I wouldn't hesitate for even a nanosecond to reduce the # of problems your ds is required to do each night since he is clearly understanding the concepts. And I wouldn't compare math homework to minecraft etc - if you're concerned he's spending to much time on those other things, focus him on something else, but skip the math that takes forever.

Best wishes,

polarbear

eta - also, fwiw, one of our biggest struggles (repeatedly) with ds is having *him* realize how much longer his homework is taking him than other kids. Math is just one piece of his homework (although it packs a huge time impact) - between math and writing *and* fitting in the extras ds enjoys (band, sports etc) ds has absolutely no free time - and that does, truly, get to him now and then. Plus detracts from available sleep time!

Last edited by polarbear; 10/29/15 09:12 AM.