In general, yes, but also with a few exceptions. I think that more important than the actual amount of homework is to first understand - what are the teacher's expectations re how much time the homework should take, and is it taking your child a lot longer than anticipated? If it is, then dig into the "why".

Since I know your ds a bit, I'm guessing he might be spending longer on his homework than other students due to 2e challenges (that aren't related to math). Writing out math homework takes our ds a really long time, so he typically will spend 2-3 times (or more) longer per assignment than other students in his class. This isn't related at all to his understanding of how to solve the problems, it's all related to his disability. When he was in elementary he didn't have much math homework, and what he did was easy (except explaining word problems lol), so we let him just skip whatever he wanted to skip. In middle school, a lot of the homework problems were repetitive, and he had an accommodation to skip as many as he needed to to save time, as long as he worked and understood at least one of each type of problem. Also during 6th grade he started using the computer to write out his math work. He dropped using the computer when he got to geometry just because he decided he'd rather use handwriting than mess with the computer - partly because he was using an iPad at school and he didn't want to carry about both his iPad and laptop. He's still using handwriting as he goes through his upper-level math courses, and his homework takes him at least 2-3 times as long as his classmates - but he is ok with that and made his own choice to continue that way for now. He is planning to reconsider using his laptop at some point in time.. but he hasn't had enough time to review the updates to efofex... possibly because math homework eats up so much of his time!

Sorry for the long ramble... I would not want my 4th grader spending an hour on math homework, unless they were really really excited about it.

Best wishes,

polarbear