I guess we were lucky - DD was prescribed reading glasses at the first eval. The first day with these glasses her reading teacher (daily Wilson intervention for dyslexia) measured that she went from 59 wpm to 81 wpm. This told me the optometrist had correctly identified her issues. I was told that the goal was to make these glasses unnecessary.

We did VT twice a week in the vision gym plus did the homework every day she didn't go in. She didn't like the excercises but did them without compliant because she wanted this to work. Within a few weeks we started to notice that the excercises were getting easier the more she did them. An excercises that was very difficult for her on Monday was much easier by the weekend. The excercises were changed each week and I was told what they were supposed to be addressing but I was a bit skeptical. We buckled in and ready to ride but not sure where we were going to end up.

They explained that over the course of her life DD had developed a whole host of compensatory strategies and the first weeks/months of VT would be spent undoing these. The older a kid is the more compensation has to be undone. About 8 weeks in DD noticed a change. She was doing an excercise with a white balloon wearing glasses with one red lens and one green lens. She could tell which eye was "on" by what color the balloon looked. All of a sudden she realized the balloon was brown - she was seeing it through both colors at the same time. After this I think the excercises became more complex. She made a ton of progress and they called her their "top student".

After 3 months the optometrist said DD gone from 20/32 in one eye and 20/40 in the other to 20/20 in both (this result was confirmed on a recent pediatrician visit). Optometrist rattled off a whole list of improvements and said prior visual perception testing was not valid because DD "couldn't see the page." She had her staff do a visual perception eval which did not seem to reflect the same level of improvement but since DD had scored in the 1st percentile 7 months earlier even things measuring in the 8th or 10th percentile were indeed improvements.

As I posted here we stopped VT suddenly after 17 weeks when I became uncomfortable with some billing practices. That same nagging concern over snake oil and taking advantage of desperate parents mentioned by others up thread was buzzing in my head. DD has continued to do VT excercises in the month and a half since we stopped going to the vision gym but the excercises have become so easy for her it hardly seems worth the time to do them. Interestingly she has decided she no longer needs the reading glasses at all. And for the first time in her life she is voluntarily reading. Quite frequently in fact. Going back to the reading teacher's measurement the first day with her glasses we know that she has improved at least 40% or so. And yes DD is dyslexic. For the first time ever she no longer confuses her lower case "b" and "d".

Not sure if this answers your questions but hopefully it helps to map out a success story.