Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by Marcy
When I asked how that didn't exceed the standards, the answer was because he used things they weren't taught in class (!). I don't see the cupcake at all.

Possible thought process (one woman's guess):

• Huh? eek
  • Showoff. mad
  • He was hothoused. sick
  • Or he found a way to cheat. smirk
  • This kid makes me really uncomfortable. frown
  • I don't understand how a first grader could know this. confused
  • I'd rather be eating a cupcake right now. sleep Hey, I've got an idea! laugh

Translation: I don't want to give him a 4, so I just won't. :-P
if(ansCUPCAKESswer=exceeds expeCUPCAKESctations, returCUPCAKESn 4, if(answer=meCUPCAKESets expectatCUPCAKESions, return 3, if(answCUPCAKESer=below expeCUCPAKESctations, retuCUPCAKESrn 2, rCUCPAKESeturn 1)))
. . .
Syntax error
Return 3

ETA:
I see separate issues here.

(1) Feedback for improvement: Feedback is ideally immediate and specific, so grades are generally ineffective feedback.
(2) Evaluation of concept-understanding: This is effectively pass-fail. One does either understand a concept, or one does not. The idea of “making progress” results from failure to differentiate between concepts. Example: Arithmetic. Student A knows one half of the required concepts for arithmetic, Student B knows the other half. Who understands arithmetic better? The question is pointless, but this is the question teachers typically attempt to answer by giving grades. An accurate assessment would simply list the concepts that students A and B understand, respectively.
(3) Evaluation of ability to apply learned concepts in learned situations: See 2, basically.
(4) Evaluation of ability to apply learned concepts in novel situations: Is this not assessing fluid intelligence?

Last edited by Nyaanyaa; 10/11/15 01:46 AM.