Thinking about this tread some more and I'm wondering why OP thinks her son is going to look better on a A/B/C/F grading system then the S/P/N system. Is what goes into a letter grade that is all different? Not sure gifted students 1st graders report card with letter grades would be any more helpful for getting into a private school. What goes into that "A"? It's not do I know material that exceeds this grade. It's usually does the student meet grade expectations based on what I've taught, are they compliant and do they put in effort. I've never seen a teacher do letter grades based on the fact that they know material beyond what is being taught in class.

My main point is that a large part of grades are often the compliance and effort part particularly the younger the student. Thus gifted kids don't always get the "A's" that the myth tells us they should because they are often bored with the material.

Have you looked into details about what the private school looks at for admission? I would hope at this grade a letter of recommendation, a portfolio of work, and some type of standard assessment would be considered.

Last edited by bluemagic; 10/09/15 11:47 AM.