Re when to give up on advocacy - there are many different times when it's "time" to give up - all based on your individual situation. I would recommend stopping for any of these reasons: you are advocating against a brick wall that will never change (the school/district doesn't want to hear from you and isn't going to change), you are spending so much time fighting/advocating that you are missing out on just being a parent, you are totally exhausted from it, or... your child is happy. There are some things I see as somewhat promising in your situation if you feel like continuing to advocate - the primary one being that your school has done *something* and seems to want to help, the issue you're having is the help they've offered isn't enough for your children. I think I'd go with something spaghetti mentioned - instead of focusing on what programs the district has, look at what can be done individually for your specific children. One idea that might work within the same school - let your kids do independent study math course during regular math instruction. I have no idea if that's something you'd think would work or that you'd even consider - it's just an example of how you might be able to think outside the box a bit, focus on your children's specific needs, and brainstorm other ways to solve the challenge for your family and your family only. Then propose that to the school, explaining why what is currently going on isn't working.

I'm very risk-averse when it comes to considering moving just to change school districts. Perhaps it's just me, but even within my one school district I've found that experiences once you are actually enrolled in a school may be much different from what you think they will be based on reports from other parents and/or how a school advertises and promotes its program.

Last question/thought - you said you don't want to consider private school. I also, a long time ago, didn't want to consider private school. We eventually pulled our kids out of public school simply because it wasn't working, and for us, sending them to a private school was the *best* thing we ever did for their education. Everyone's experience will be different, of course, as will each school - but the one thing I wanted to mention from our experience - not only was the new school a great choice in terms of academics/social/everything-child-related, one *huge* benefit that I hadn't anticipated was that I no longer had to beat my head against a brick wall advocating - if there was something that I felt my child needed, I was able to easily discuss it with the teachers and for the most part, the teachers were always willing to try to help. So I was now suddenly no longer in that position of wondering - how long should I stick with advocating.

Good luck moving forward!

polarbear