Good questions.

It is mostly math, though the lack of challenge extends to other areas as well. What I think is most harmful is that I already see signs of underachievement and my kids are not learning to work hard and struggle academically. They do not perceive school as a place for learning and ask why they get to learn over the summer, in camps, but not at school. This aspect has actually improved a bit so far this year. In the past, they would say they hated school. This year I have not heard them say that.

Other options would include moving to a nearby district that has a much more robust GT program (e.g., self-contained GT classes). This would mean selling our house and buying another, but we wouldn't have to go far, as we live a few houses away from the district line. Not sure if private is an option but thinking about it (prefer public).

I think one of the things that is bothering me is comparing the options in our district to the options in the district down the street and seeing how much more they offer.