I agree with Val. The issue here is the kid is throwing a tantrum and throwing things. I've been there with a child throwing fits. The kid needs to learn that this is NOT acceptable behavior.

a) Help the kid calm down. Whatever works for him/her sending my child to his room to be alone was my go to at this age.

b) Once calmed down & some time has elapsed. Explain calmly that this type of behavior isn't acceptable and at that time talk about the consequences of his behavior. Taking away computer/tablet privileges is a common consequence but you need to do what works for your family. I found it important to wait until we BOTH calmed down so that we didn't start another tantrum and I myself didn't throw out ridiculous threats and I couldn't follow through with.

c) Talk about why this is an overreaction. This isn't one conversation and is best done long after he has calmed down. How these quizzes are for fun and not accurate. How the different houses have their strengths. How he would write such a quiz himself. I find it funny that adults on this board are saying they went to the quiz and they are sorted as X. I've seen no less than a DOZEN different sorting hat quizzes over the years. There isn't one and they will all likely give you a different answer.

Last edited by bluemagic; 10/05/15 12:47 PM.