So I feel honor bound to follow up. The other day DS7-second grade brought home "math" homework that was really a writing task. "Write a math story about this picture." Totally easy and DS had a meltdown over it. We got through it, but it was ugly. Had to break the task up. What do you want to say? Ok - let me type that so we can see it. Now we know what you want to say. Let's work on writing it. Bit by bit, we got it on paper. Really painful.

So I emailed teacher about it, and she suggested a meeting. She started by asking me my thoughts, listened, liked the way we solved the problem. Then she OFFERED this: "Look, I just want to know what DS is thinking, what he wants to say about the problem. Whatever it takes. Type it out, print it and tape to the page. Take turns writing words, or letters or whatever. You can even write for him. Just use your judgement about when he's struggling, and what he needs. And thanks for bringing this to my attention. Keep an eye on it and I will, too. But whatever you do - no tears or meltdowns over homework. If that's happening let me know and we'll work it out."

Then she went on to give me a heads up on how the first few weeks have gone for DS, and what a funny, smart guy he is, and how cool it is that he keeps her on her toes. "Still working on a few impulsiveness things - but he's working hard and doing great."

uhhh - uhhhh - uhhh. Flabbergasted. So pleased. Fingers crossed going forward.

Sue
ETA - I realize this has nothing to do with differentiation. But to have those accommodations and positive comments offered up made me feel optimistic.

Last edited by suevv; 09/11/15 04:27 PM. Reason: extra note re differentiation