Vent:

DS7 is in second grade in a public school that has worked hard with us over the past couple years to get to know him and find ways to help him succeed. His first grade teacher helped him a ton - mostly with managing his emotions and learning to function in a crowd. She also was along for the ride when he learned taught himself to read and had the virtue of not getting in his way wink

By all accounts we have the pick of the litter for second grade teachers, and he seems positive about her. Some of the projects he has told me about sound actually interesting! And in fact for him to be telling me anything about class at all is a novelty. I have a sense things could be going much worse.

BUT - arrrgh. The "work" that came home in his folder from last week. The largest piece of "work" was multiple pages covered with rows and rows of boxes into which the kids were supposed to write numbers, counting as high as they could. Apparently some of the more ... compliant ... kids filled in numbers up to 400 and more. DS did 2 pages - up to about 150, then clearly declared all stop as the next page has a big X in each box!

Good lord - they've been doing this "counting" and writing numbers since K. Even back then he declared it a stupid waste of time. He did get a green star and "good job" for the numbers he wrote. And I suppose we could look at this as writing practice which he definitely could use. But sheesh!

Vent over ... and thanks for listening!

Sue