Trust your gut. In Canada they give all of the scores as 95% confidence intervals, they won't even give us a specific score so instead of a GAI of 120 we would get a GAI of 114-125 (95% CI). Even that is only a 95%CI which means there is a 5% chance it is outside of that. I guess what I'm getting at is that the numbers you get are not as specific as a single FSIQ or GAI number implies.

We've been through testing twice now. At 6.5 DS wasn't fully cooperative and extremely shy around strangers. He scored gifted but the more and more I read here the more I realized that his real scores might be much higher. Sure enough at 8.75 we retested and his scores were considerably higher.

Now the much harder question - how to help him in school?
IME the biggest impact for my kids is their teacher. Having someone who actually looks at the kids in front of them and does what they can to accommodate, excite, teach, help, etc them is key. Good teachers don't necessarily need test scores to show them, they figure it out by getting to know the kids. We've been lucky with a couple of these. In fact my DD (who hasn't been tested yet) got far more special stuff out of her teacher this past year than DS did with two psych reports and an IEP that she had to follow by law.

Does your school have more than one option per grade? Can you ask that he be put in the class with the best match? If you know of other gifted kids in the school you could try asking that they be grouped.

We've also had many conversations with our DS about actually showing that he knows the work even though it is "boring". DS also hates repetition but he would also refuse to even do 1 problem if it was too easy which of course made it hard to prove that he knew the stuff in the first place. This has been a HUGE thing that he's finally starting to understand.

Hope something in all of the babbling helps - good luck!

Last edited by chay; 07/30/15 12:57 PM.