Originally Posted by aeh
Yes, 2e kids are one of the most underidentified portions of both populations of exceptionality (gifted and disability). Consequently, GT programs both underselect for 2e kids, and misattribute disability-related presentations to motivational causes.

Yes - this! Fortunately for us, the school ID'd DS as GT (in SK) before we had any clue about any other E. But in his first gifted (Canadian) IEP application they put in things like "needs to work on perseverance and rising to challenges". Now that we know a bit more about things he struggles with, it makes some sense that his teachers would feel like he was just 'giving up' on things they felt he _should_ be able to do.

I admit that I found it puzzling as well - here's a kid who _can_ read well above grade level but refused to complete the assigned grade 1 reading homework with me; was asking to be put at a higher level for the computer reading program (Raz Kids) they had access to, but then refused to use it after a couple of attempts. Now that I know about his vision issues, it makes sense. But just telling him he needs to 'persevere' would not be at all helpful. And the teachers were telling me everything was 'age-appropriate', so...